According to the American Dental Association, there is recent good news about progress against cancer. It is now easier than ever to detect oral cancer early, when the opportunity for a cure is great. Currently only half of all patients diagnosed with oral cancer survive more than five years.
Our practice has the skills and tools to ensure that early signs of cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. We can help you fight and win the battle against oral cancer. Know the early signs and see your dentist regularly.
You Should Know:
- Oral cancer often starts as a tiny, unnoticed white or red spot or sore anywhere in the mouth.
- It can affect any area of the oral cavity including the lips, gum tissue, cheek lining, tongue and the hard or soft palate.
Other Signs Include:
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A color change of the oral tissues
- A lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing or moving the jaw or tongue
- A change in the way the teeth fit together
Regular Dental Check-ups Important
Regular dental check-ups, including an examination of the entire mouth, are essential in the early detection of cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions. You may have a very small, but dangerous, oral spot or sore and not be aware of it.
Request an appointment or call our office to schedule a personal consultation during your next visit.
Dr. Tim Chapman